Boudoir Photography FAQ
Below are answers to questions you may have, however if you don’t see the answer to your question here, by all means call, text, or email me!
I’m not a model, or I’m not thin, or I don’t know how to pose – Is this for me?
Absolutely! I believe that every woman in every shape and size is beautiful. I will help you pose, get over any initial jitters, and look great! Don’t worry, no one knows how to pose for boudoir. I have a large number of poses that flatter different body types and emphasize different body parts.
Where do the photo shoots take place?
I have a private studio room in my home in Crozet, VA (about 15 or so minutes from Charlottesville). The room has a bed and other props that we will use throughout your session. I am also available to do outdoor on location photo sessions if you have a private location we can use. Typically a travel charge applies, however if you have a good location, tempt me and we’ll see.
What should I expect to happen for my session?
After you arrive, you will first spend about an hour relaxing while you get your makeup and hair done. My stylist will speak with you about how you want to have your hair styled and how you would like your makeup to look. I will be there to help you if you aren’t sure. While your hair and makeup is being done, I will look at your outfits and props (if any) and make plans for your session.
After your hair and makeup is finished, the stylist will leave and it will be just to two of us for your photo session. You will work with me to take amazing photos in various positions – standing, sitting, laying down. Throughout the session you will change into different outfits when I feel that I have what I want from each outfit.
The whole process takes about 4 hours.
When will my photos be ready for viewing?
Typically in about 2 weeks we will get together again in my studio for your viewing and product purchase session. This session can be in the evening or at a time that’s convenient for you. This session typically lasts about 45 minutes.
What products do you offer?
Heirloom Quality Albums* – my beautiful, layflat albums are made in a castle in Italy (really!) on archival quality paper (which means they will last a lifetime). They come with cover and box options that you will pick when you select your albums, however the real star is the stunning paper and printing process used by the Italian artists.
Wall Art* – Canvas, metal, and mounted prints are all available. Imagine how amazing you will feel on a so-so day when you see a beautiful reminder of your empowering boudoir experience. Now I bet you are thinking, I can’t hang that on the wall. Yes you can! How about in your closet or bathroom? Someplace you will see it, but others won’t unless you want them to.
* All photo products ordered come with corresponding complementary digital image(s).
How much does it cost?
Please see my Boudoir Photography Pricing page for more information on pricing.
When do you hold sessions?
I do boudoir sessions Monday-Friday. I like to start in the morning because that’s when the light in my studio is the best, however I will work around your schedule.
How should I prepare for my session?
- Arrive with clean, dry hair (no products) and clean skin (no makeup). If you use moisturizer, do not use one with an SPF as this can affect makeup application.
- Make sure your hair color is fresh (if colored) and that roots are touched up if needed.
- Do not go tanning (either in a booth or in the sun) 5 days before the session to avoid burns & blotchy skin.
- Make sure any body hair is well groomed, legs are shaved. If you get any waxing or other hair removal done, be sure to do it at least 3 days before your session.
- Get a mani-pedi so you look great from head to toe. You want something timeless, not trendy so you will love your photos forever. I suggest nudes or classic red.
- Arrive in loose fitting clothing and avoid wearing a bra, underwear, socks or anything that will leave unsightly dent marks in your skin.
- Remember to use lip balm several days before the shoot to keep your lips soft.
- Use lotion on your arms and legs to have them looking their best, but try not to use any products with glitter or an artificial shine to them.
- You might want to bring a snack as the entire session is about 4 hours.
- Bring a playlist of music is you have it and we can stream it in the studio.
- Drink plenty of water, gently exfoliate, and moisturize your face and body prior to arrival.
Last but not least, get a good night’s rest the night before! Don’t go out and party or drink. You want to look your best!
What should I bring to my session?
- Lingerie that you find flattering! Three to four outfits is best. You can always bring extra outfits if you have them and I will help you pick outfits if you aren’t sure which one to use. You don’t have to break the bank, just get something that makes you feel great! Also make sure the lingerie is in good condition – clean and preferable hung up so it isn’t full of wrinkles.
- A garter belt and thigh high stocking, fishnets, a boa, a hat, or any other items you would like to include in your photos.
- If you are doing this for a partner, you might also bring one of his dress shirts (solid white or solid blue are best) or a favorite jersey of his. Just make sure everything you bring is clean and in excellent condition. If you are doing this for a partner, a new outfit can be a fun surprise.
- Any jewelry you love.
- Sexy shoes! More than one pair if you have them! Shoes really add to boudoir photography.
- Bring a robe for in between to cover yourself. I want you to feel as comfortable as you can while you are at my studio.
Can I bring a friend or significant other?
My preference is that you come by yourself. I want all the focus to be on you and my experience is that having someone else along detracts from your session and in fact will make you more self-conscious. If you absolutely feel you must bring a friend for moral support and cheer-leading, then you may, but they will not be allowed in the room while the photography is taking place to avoid them getting in the way of the photos. I do not allow male partners or friends to be present during your session, however if you want to bring someone to drop you off and meet me to make sure you are safe, you can certainly do that.
Do you retouch my photos?
Yes, every photo that I deliver to you will be retouched. I don’t change your appearance because you are beautiful the way you are. Beauty marks and freckles are a part of you. However, if there is something you really don’t like, such as a scar from a fall, just let me know and I take care of it in retouching. If I notice something during your shoot that I’m isn’t sure if you would want removed, I will ask you. You will look stunning!
If my boudoir photography FAQ didn’t answer all your questions, then please give me a call, text, or contact me.
“Boudoir Photography – Sensual or sexually suggestive images of women partially clothed or in lingerie. Nudity is more often implied than explicit. ”
Answers to common questions in my boudoir photography FAQ.